Welcome to St Peter and St Pauls Church Runham
Revd Sue Hemsley Halls, The Rectory, Main Road, Fleggburgh, Norfolk, NR29 3AG
Mrs Bobbie Walsh
Willow Corner, The Street, Runham, NR29 3AH.
The Church is open every day during daylight hours
A brief description of the church from a recent quinquennial inspection report.
The site and dedication together with the extremely large size of the mediaeval parish all suggest a very early foundation but this is conjecture.
The church stands on the edge of the village and consists of a west tower, nave with a north porch and a chancel. The nave has in it windows dating probably from the first quarter of the fourteenth century though the actual fabric is probably much earlier.
The chancel is slightly newer and the north porch perhaps more recent still. Money was left for the building of the tower in 1501. A shield in the eastern parapet of the tower records a date of 1864: this obviously relates to a fairly drastic restoration. The roofs probably date from this time as do the parapets and pinnacles on the tower. Whereas a great deal of Victorian restoration has spoilt good mediaeval work in other places here it has, in many ways, enhanced it especially with regard to the top of the tower, where the double stepped parapets and pinnacles were put on in 1864 and are of the best sort of their period. The present sound holes in the tower, whilst undoubtedly Victorian in execution, are almost certainly mediaeval in design and simply nineteenth century copies of the originals; the one to the south consists of a wheel of mouchettes. There is a good flushwork panelled plinth course. On the chancel buttress there are notable designs of shields in quatrefoils. There is a small two light low side window below one of the two lights of the westernmost window on the south side of the chancel There is an unusual font in that it has a book rest carved out of the same stone as the octagonal bowl on the western side. This font probably dates from the restoraiton of 1864 though it might just be a copy of a mediaeval one. Also Victorian, and possibly also of 1864 is the glass containing the sword and cross keys devices representing the patron saints of the church, Paul and Peter.